August 27, 2013
Ruby Level 2: Blocks, Exceptions, and A Simple Webpage Scraper
This class is a followup to the introductory Ruby programming language course taught at Rails School. It will cover the basics of what blocks are, how errors are handled in Ruby, and exhibit some of these concepts in a simple webpage scraper.
In Level 2: Blocks, Exceptions and a Webpage Scraper, we will cover the following topics. This class assumes that:
- you have attended the introductory class during RailsSchool Ruby Catchup Level I, or are familiar with the level of ideas presented in lessons 1 through 3 of the intro class materials and the code that was presented.
- You have a Ruby interpreter (for example,
irb) loaded on your computer.
Feel free to read ahead - we will cover the material in lessons 4 through 6 in the folder above.
- How are blocks defined?
- Typical usage of blocks
- Relationship between Blocks and Methods
- How Ruby represents errors
- Syntax for specifying error handlers - rescue and ensure clauses
- Common types of errors
- The error hierarchy
- A Simple Webpage Scraper
- Downloading webpages: using OpenURI
- Webpage structure: reading HTML
- Finding a tag: using regular expressions
- Putting it all together
7pm Pacific - 9pm Pacific on August 27, 2013 at Noisebridge
18 students were there