Personal development on the job
Software development jobs can demand a lot from you, but also can offer opportunities to grow as a person and as a professional.
This will be an informal forum where we discuss our experiences, goals, and ideas around personal development in a technical job.
Some topics I'd like to touch on:
- Participating in and cultivating a learning culture
- Objectives and tactics for managers as well as individual contributors
- Different formats for doing 1-on-1's and for tracking personal goals
- "20% time" and "Investment time" kinds of policies
- The relationship of your company to the open source ecosystem
- Specific perks that can help you and your team level up
- Developing an engineering team values document / manifesto
Be sure to complete the following Codewars challenge before class!
(If your RailsSchool profile includes your Codewars username, you'll get
a nifty star if you complete the challenge.)