Jumping On The Rails
- Have an idea you want to work on for the next several weeks
- Sketch out some basics of the idea using wireframes (see last week's class for details)
- Install Ruby and Rails on your laptop. See our FAQ for links on how to do this. If you can't get this working, or it's too intimidating, then create a free account on Nitrous.io or come early to class on Thursday and we'll help you get set up.
- understand what a rails project structure looks like
- know what the view layer is
- know where to put html code
- basic understanding of the purpose of a layout
This lesson will have a short (30 minutes) presentation, followed by a long session of learning by trying (90 minutes). Don't feel like you need to follow along during the presentation, as instructors and TAs will be available to help you during the 90 minute coding session.
- Quick overview of a rails project structure - we're not going to go in-depth, but we'll see where the html and css go
- Demonstration of adding content to the app using HTML
- Demonstration of styling content by adding appropriate CSS classes (using the bootstrap framework).
- Start working on our own projects, adding components to build out a single page from our applications.