Gem Building - Professionalizing Your Ruby Code
Package management in general is an extremely valuable feature enabling software engineers the benefits of code re-usability, dependency tracking, locking down versions, and very snappy no-fuss deploys.
Join me as I walk through the process of extracting functionality out of a large ruby app, tucking the important functionality into it's own gem. Not only will this make my code more accessible in future projects, but it will also shrink down the size of my larger project.
- Basic understanding of ruby methods
- Basic understanding of git
Development Environment Requirements:
- A working installation of ruby 2.x
- See: https://rvm.io/rvm/install
gem install rails -v 4.2.6
- node.js (for rails)
- See: https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/#debian-and-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions
Here's the document link, but don't read ahead, you'll spoil it!