Catch Up Class: Start a Project
This class is aimed at those of us who have never run
rails new before, or who would like to brush up on their basics. If you're more experienced, come by and hack on a project, or offer assistance to others since we were all n00bs once.
While the only requirement is to bring a laptop, it will help to read How should I prepare for my first Rails lesson? and see how far you can get.
This class will be project focused, so use the whiteboard to discuss ideas beforehand. We'll take one of the project ideas to demo, but students are encouraged to hack on their own ideas in parallel. We'll cover the following topics in order to build out our projects:
- Setting up a development environment on your laptop
- Creating a new rails application
- Models (The basic data that our project will use)
- Views (The presentation, or html, layer of the application. This is what people will see)
- Controllers (The logic that sits between the models and the views, wiring them together)